The club season includes three main internal competitions for monochrome prints, colour prints, and projected digital images. Each competition event is adjudicated by an external judge, and points (out of 10) are awarded within each category, which accumulate towards a final score to decide the overall winner of the class. Each competition class has 3 rounds per season, in which members may usually submit up to 2 entries, each counting towards the final score.
Projected Digital Image (PDI) competitions were introduced to TPS in 2006, following our acquisition of a laptop computer and digital projector. From September 2009 we no longer have a competition for 35mm slides – although members can of course have slides converted to digital for entry in the PDI competitions.
Also from September 2009 we have changed the description of the two classes of entry that form the basis of the main competitions. These are now divided into:
- Club Class – general class open to all members
- Advanced Class – members who have come 1st in the Club class competition in a previous year, or who have demonstrated a suitable quality of submissions, (possibly at another club), as judged by the TPS Committee.
In addition there are several one-off competitions held during the year, based on specific set themes or subjects. All competition winners receive a prize memento, along with ownership of the competition award medal or cup, usually presented at our annual end of year dinner.
The following documents give more details of the competition requirements:
- Submissions Guidelines – how to enter a competition
- Using PhotoEntry – how to submit your PDIs using PhotoEntry
- Competitions Overview – A useful overview of all the competitions and their entry requirements.
- TPS Handbook – the club handbook (v2.1, updated Sept14), containing full details of the requirements for each competition.
- Digital Guidelines – guidelines for preparation and submission of digital images for projection
- Natural History Guidelines – rules for submissions to Natural History competition
- Alec Braid Guidelines – submission requirements for the 3-image print & PDI panel competitions
- Creative Photography Guidelines – rules for eligible images in our new Creative Photography competition
- Match-a-PDI Guidelines – rules for creating a submission for the Match-a-PDI competition
The society also competes in external competitions: both friendly with other local clubs; and in the Surrey Photographic Association’s Inter-Club Competitions.