The TPS season includes internal club competitions for monochrome prints, colour prints, and projected digital images.
Each competition event is adjudicated by an external judge, and points (out of 10) are awarded within each category, which accumulate towards a final score to decide the overall winner of each class. There are three rounds per season, into which members may submit one entry.
We have three classes for our multi-round competitions. These are:
- Club Class – general class open to all members, especially new members at the start of their photographic journey
- Intermediate Class – for members who have won the respective competition in Club Class in a prior year or who have made strong progress beyond the Club Class level and wish to compete with similar photographers
- Advanced Class – for members who have won the respective competition in Intermediate Class in a prior year, or who hold a photographic qualification such as LRPS, or who have demonstrated a high quality of submissions (possibly at another club) as assessed by the TPS Committee.
In addition, we aim to host several one-off competitions each year, based on specific set themes or subjects. All competition winners are given ownership of the competition award medal or cup, usually presented at our annual end-of-year dinner.
The following documents give more details of the competition requirements:
- Submissions Guidelines – how to enter a competition
- Using PhotoEntry – how to make all internal competition entries using PhotoEntry
- Competitions Overview – an overview of all TPS competitions and their entry requirements
- TPS Handbook – the club handbook (v2.1, updated Sept14), containing full details of the requirements for each competition
- Digital Guidelines – guidelines for preparation and submission of digital images for projection
- Natural History Guidelines – rules for submissions to a Natural History competition
- Alec Braid Guidelines – submission requirements for the 3-image print & PDI panel competitions
- Creative Photography Guidelines – rules for eligible images in our Creative Photography competition
- Match-a-PDI Contest Guidelines – rules for creating a submission for a Match-a-PDI Contest
The society also competes in friendly, external competitions with other local clubs and in the Surrey Photographic Association’s Inter-Club Competitions. For additional details or to find out how to get involved, please contact the External Competition Secretary.